Diana Pharaoh Francis | Diana P. Francis | Diana Francis

Monday, January 7th, 2013
Book Club

All right. Here’s the initial book club call for book nominations. Suggest a book you might like to read for the club–something you haven’t already read, preferably. On Thursday, the 9th, we’ll list out the options and take a vote.

The book has to be available to people. In other words, it has to be something available to people, and preferably not hardcover, or if it is in hardcover, make it known in the nomination. We don’t want the cost of books to murderous. I know people might borrow from libraries, but they might not be able to do so.

The only requirement is that the book has some fantasy element. Any kind of fantasy. So romance, paranormal, epic, horror, historical, steampunk, you name it.

When posting your book suggestion, include information about it or a link where people can find more.

We’ll plan on having our first book session February 2nd. My plan is to do it online here on my blog, and also do a chat maybe later in the week. That way people can participate in asynchronous discussion and later a synchronous one.

So put all nominations in this post. For those of you reading this on my lj, can you come on over to the regular blog for this? I ask because LJ has been stalling out a LOT lately, and I want to make sure all voices get heard.

11 comments to “Book Club”

1. Jelilat
     · January 7th, 2013 at 10:04 pm · Link

I vote for S.M Reine’s ‘Death’s Hand’. Its the first book in the Descent Series.

2. Douglas Meeks
     · January 8th, 2013 at 5:18 am · Link

As usual you made it hard for me 🙂 Here are a few 5 Star rated books that I can recommend (descending order (most to least) of sexual content):

Master of Crows by Grace Draven

Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen Callihan

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

——————————————–
    but since 90% of my reading as a reviewer are books not yet released, here is one everyone tells me is 5 Stars (reviews indicate that to be true) and I have NOT read yet and everyone can get, this might be the best choice PLUS it only costs $1.99 for Kindle.

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

3. mtlawson
     · January 8th, 2013 at 5:25 am · Link

I’m going to keep my mouth shut, since there’s a lot of books that I’ve been meaning to read but haven’t yet. Others (::cough:: Missy ::cough::) will have likely read them already.

• Di Francis
      3.1
       · January 8th, 2013 at 5:22 pm · Link

oh come one. Give a shout out. Don’t be shy!

• mtlawson
        3.1.1
         · January 9th, 2013 at 2:10 pm · Link

Okay, here are two in my TBR pile:

The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron
        The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (hi, Sandy!)

4. Adrianne
     · January 8th, 2013 at 7:29 am · Link

This is hard. My first choice would be Martha Wells’s _Siren Depths_, but it’s third in her series about Moon, an orphan shape changer raised among non-shape changing people. When he finds out who he is, he becomes a prince, and is forced to fight against evil invaders while he learns how to live with his own kind.

5. Mikaela
     · January 8th, 2013 at 10:47 am · Link

Oh good. This is hard. *looks at Wishlist* How about Peter V Brett’s The Painted Man / The Warded Man ( different titles depending on where you live)?

6. e_bookpushers
     · January 8th, 2013 at 7:41 pm · Link

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara the first of her Chronicles of Elantra series. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9542.Cast_in_Shadow is the link to the book on Goodreads.

7. Leslie
     · January 9th, 2013 at 11:45 am · Link

Just found this one yesterday and thought it looked interesting:

Miserere: An Autumn Tale by Teresa Frohock – http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10193060-miserere

Sitting on my shelf waiting to be read:

The Unremembered by Peter Orullian – http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8684418-the-unremembered

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey – http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13507967-dark-currents – This one is really new and only out in hardback so far, though.